This category includes not only the major telecom networks and
their rivals, but providers of equipment or services for internal
communications protocols such as corporate-only data, not specifically
- AT&T Research and
AT&T itself. Also see
Bell Labs, a part of
Lucent Communications. You may
remember them, among other things, their scientists invented the laser,
transistor, and the dial-tone (snicker).
- BT Net.
- British Telecom, I believe. Very well-connected.
- BroadBand Technologies, Inc.
- Video Dialtone! They're working with Lucent Communications to
develop and deploy high-bandwidth digital video/internet
- CFW Communications.
- A bit of a "Baby Bell", CFW provides a wide array of services and
products which add utility to your telephone and cable network. Call
forwarding, auto redial, caller-ID-blocker-rejection, cellular, cable, etc.
- The Communications Satellite Corporation.
- Crawford Communications, Inc.
- Offers a wide variety of services, including satellite services, but
they're primarily into specialty video and audio productions.
- A division of Hughes, they
direct-broadcast newsfeeds, etc, at 400KPS.
- GTX Telecom.
- Everything from their 100-percent fiberoptic network to wireless and
- The International Telecommunications Satellite Organization.
- Primarily serving the Utilities Industry, "Itron
has been helping electric, gas and water companies become more efficient and
more competitive through innovative information and communications solutions
that automate processes and connect utilities to their customers. The
company designs, manufactures, markets, installs and services hardware,
software and integrated systems for Automatic Meter Reading and handheld
computer-based systems for electric meter reading. "
- LDDS WorldCom.
- Fourth largest common carrier in the US, fourth largest fiber-optic
system in the US, etc.
- Nortel (Northern Telecom).
- Very big, particularly in corproate LAN/WAN
- Netrex Internetwork Integration.
- "Managed network services, data communications, satellite
communications, communications recording."
- Teleport Communications Group.
- " Teleport Communications Group (TCG) is the
nation's premier competitive local telecommunications provider. TCG's fiber
optic network encompasses more than 250 communities from coast to coast,
including the metropolitan areas of Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Cleveland,
Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Fort Lauderdale, Hartford, Houston, Indianapolis,
Los Angeles, Miami, Milwaukee, New Jersey, New York, Omaha, Phoenix,
Portland OR, Pittsburgh, Providence, Salt Lake City, San Diego, San
Francisco, Seattle, St. Louis, Washington DC and West Palm
- An amalgamation of local regional providers.
- United Video Satellite Group.
- Direct Broadcast Satellites and so forth.
- "National Internet, Local Service". Verio is a fairly aggressive
conglomeration of formerly-local midscale internet service providers, who
have inter-invested and have acquired national backbones. Rather than a
major corporation expanding into local internet service provision, local
service providers forestalled their own acquisitions by merging into the
next level of scale.
- Whittaker Xyplex.
- Internetworking, integrations, training and service.
- Bandwidth management technologies; their primary concern is moving
as data from place to place as rapidly as possible.
- Electronic Interconnection devices. They say they're the world's
authority on plating, molding and of such items. Their subdivision, Connectware focuses on network
integration, PCMCIA cards, LAN/WAN, etc. Looks like a good solid investment
- Among other things, provides carrier services for Federal agencies
and the corporate world.
- Associated Data Services,
- Produces phone and network billing software for the AS/400 and also
sells and services a variety of networking hardware and software.
- Ascend Communications.
- These folks are to the communications side of the Internet what Bell
Laboratories was to the national phone system. Between Ascend and Cisco (see
below) you can find all of the highspeeed dataswitching and ISDN technology
you're ever likely to need. The Pipeline 50
ISDN is a surefire solution to your 128Kbps multiuser-to-backbone
Internet needs. Take a look at it.
- Dedicated NetServers, all of which look pretty good to me! Other
- Routers, hubs, switches, multimedia products such as
multimedia asynchronous transfer mode (ATM), multimedia operating software,
- Corporate LAN/WAN, cabling, switching, up to and including full
- Chipcom Corporation.
- Makers of multifunction chassis-based hub and switching platforms. A
subsidiary of 3Com.
- Cisco, Inc.
- The world leader in internetworking connectivity and routing
solutions. They make the legendary Cisco routers.
- They are heavily into wireless connectivity, cellular, microwave,
and satellite WAN. They claim they're the only company that can provide a
complete family of integrated engineering software, portable workstation
modules, etc. with GUI, and also provide software for engineering
wireless network design.
- ECI Telecom, Inc.
- Israel-based, ECI Telecom has a huge chunk of the DCME (digital
circuit multiplicationequipment) market, pair-gain systems, access
multiplexers and other access products, Synchronous Digital Heirarchy (SDH)
equipment, and lots of WAN equipment. Very big, extremely transnational.
- Everything from optical, hardwire and microwave transmission
- Hughes Network Systems.
- If you want to be able to get your internet anywhere, at blistering
satellite speeds, these are the folks!
- Hekimian Laboratories.
- Remote testing products and operations system-support for large
- The Innovation Group.
- Multi-megabit adapters for TV-cable access, Secure Routers,
- Hybrid Networks, Inc.
- Points-of-presence (POPs), remote-link equipment, including wireless
- They make ATM, Base-T, AnyLAN products. Also, Fiber Channel, and
- Modems, ISDN modems/terminators, modem-bank managers, etc.
- SBE, Inc.
- A variety of remote-access and WAN hardware such as routers,
bridges, cables, etc.
- Routers, Modems, ISDN modems, network management systems,
points-of-presence equipment such as analog/digital product aggregation..
- A variety of specialized network testing equipment and software
products for network management.
- Tellabs, Inc.
- Recently Acquired Ciena, which
made the boxes that enabled frequency-divided enhancements of the bandwidth
of fiber-optics. Tellabs is very big into the physical and electronic
components of large highspeed networks.
- Highspeed network cards.
- United Video Satellite Group.
- Direct Broadcast Satellites and so forth.
Network Management &
- " Cable Management System, Cable Management System
NT, IP Address Management, Equipment Bay Management, Physical Network
Manager, Cross Connect Management, Cable Termination Management, General
Telephony Shell, Expert Draft, API, Parametric Modeling Module, RISE Module,
Scan Interface Module "
Internet Conferencing and
Telephony, and Broadcast Media
- AllWare Internet.
- Home of a lot of good Winsock Applications, including the CuSeeMe realtime
- AG Communications.
- Take a look at their subsidiary Atium, which makes
- Avid Technology, Inc.
- All-digital solutions for capturing, creating, editing and
distributing digital media on multiple platforms.
- TruVoice computer telephony, Communications Servers, and a beautiful
- CritiCom Inc
- Full-service vendor-independent video teleconferencing. Also
provides a range of data transmission and system-integration services.
- IVID Communications.
- Point-of-sale kiosks, CD-ROMs, etc.
- Audio and Vidio for your computer. Including Streaming Video,
netwide broadcasts, and more!
- Customized newsfeed scrolling across your desktop! Reuters and other
- Interactive systems, Think Video, much more!